Sarehole Mill - Group Visits
The 250 year old mill at Sarehole is one of only two surviving watermills in Birmingham. The cobbled courtyard and mill pool are a tranquil haven away from 21st century life, while the buildings and their impressive machinery give a unique insight into the lives of the millers who once inhabited this rural retreat.
The mill was the childhood haunt of the author J.R.R. Tolkien. His family moved to Birmingham in 1896 and for four years they lived in a house overlooking the mill pond. Tolkien and his brother spent many hours playing around the mill. He used the mill and nearby Moseley Bog as inspiration for The Shire in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.
Today, the mill retains the same tranquil rural atmosphere which Tolkien loved, and the millpond provides a haven for wildlife including kingfishers, herons and moorhens. Visitors can experience the mill in action when it grinds corn on Sundays and most Wednesdays during the open season.
Group bookings include:
- Either a self-guided or guided tour
- Min group 8 and max group 45
- Coach welcomed by member of staff
- Free admission and hot drink for coach driver
- Free admission to group organiser
- Free familiarisation visit for group organiser
- Visit between mid September and mid October for 10% discount
- Book to visit two Birmingham Heritage Sites* for 10% discount (cannot be used in conjunction with other discount)
- Coach parking (on road)
- Catering can be arranged with site
- Specialist tours available (additional fee may apply)
* Birmingham Heritage Sites are Aston Hall, Blakesley Hall, Museum of the Jewellery Quarter, Sarehole Mill, Soho House and Weoley Castle.
Self Guided Tour: £2 per person.
Easter - end of October, Tuesday - Sunday, 12 noon - 4pm.
Guided Tour: £7 per person.
Easter - end of October, Tuesday - Sunday, 10am - 4pm.
November - Easter, Tuesday - Friday, 10am - 4pm.
Evenings/out of season weekends: Prices available on request.
To make a booking
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your enquiry.
Groups Information Pack.