Tel: +44 (0)121 554 3598
Entry: Charges apply to the tour of the Smith and Pepper factory and the galleries. The shop, cafe and temporary exhibition space are free to enter.
Children under 16 FREE
Annual multi site pass: £20 individual, £30 joint
Tuesday to Saturday 10.30am - 5.00pm. Closed Sundays and Mondays. Open Bank Holiday Mondays.
When the proprietors of the Smith & Pepper jewellery manufacturing firm decided to retire in 1981 they ceased trading and locked the door, unaware they would be leaving a time capsule for future generations. Tools were left strewn on benches; grubby overalls were hung on the coat hooks; and dirty teacups were abandoned alongside jars of marmite and jam on the shelf.
In the eighty years before its closure little changed with the working practices or equipment used within the family-owned business. Even the décor had more in common with early 20th century trends than a thriving business in the early 1980s. Today the factory is a remarkable museum, which tells the story of the Jewellery Quarter and Birmingham’s renowned jewellery and metalworking heritage.
What will I see at the Museum of the Jewellery Quarter?
- Visit to the Smith & Pepper factory by guided tour. Allow one hour for guided tour. Last tour approximately one hour before closing. The maximum number of people on each tour is 18.
- The museum shop, which stocks a range of locally made designer-maker jewellery.
- Live demonstrations at the jeweller’s bench showing how the Smith & Pepper bangle was made.
- The vast array of original tools, stamps and machinery that remains inside the factory.
The museum is open all year round, but entrance to the factory is by guided tour only. School parties and pre-booked groups are welcome. Please contact the Museum of the Jewellery Quarter for further details.
What's On in March 2013
- Regenerated: Rajesh Gogna, Cathy Miles & Miranda Sharpe - exhibition until 11th January 2014. Free
- Dreamcatchers - Family craft workshop. Wednesday 29th May. 1pm-3pm. £3
- Make and Take activity - Thursday 30th May. 1pm-3pm. £1
- Fabric corsages - Family craft workshop. Friday 31st May. 1pm-3pm. £3
- Jewellery Quarter Heritage Walk - Saturday 29th June. 2pm-3.30pm. £5
- Jazz in the Courtyard - Saturday 13th July. 12pm-4pm. Free
- Silver Earrings Workshop - Adult jewellery workshop. Saturday 20th July. 10am-4pm. £50
- Mini Wirework Sculptures - Family craft workshop. Thursday 8th August. 1pm-3pm. £3
- Vintage Style Hair Grips - Family craft workshop. Thursday 15th August. 1pm-3pm. £3
- Animal Magic - Family craft workshop. Thursday 22nd August. 1pm-3pm. £3
- Beaded Windchimes - Family craft workshop. Thursday 29th August. 1pm-3pm. £3
What's On at All Birmingham Museums' Heritage Sites
For more information on events and activities check the What’s On page for listings.