Tel: +44 (0)121 348 8140
Entry: Charges apply to the tour of the Smith and Pepper factory and the galleries. The shop, cafe and temporary exhibition space are free to enter.
Children under 16 FREE
Annual multi site pass: £20 individual, £30 joint
Tuesday to Saturday 10.30am - 5.00pm. Closed Sundays and Mondays. Except Bank Holiday Mondays.
When the proprietors of the Smith & Pepper jewellery manufacturing firm decided to retire in 1981 they ceased trading and locked the door, unaware they would be leaving a time capsule for future generations. Tools were left strewn on benches; grubby overalls were hung on the coat hooks; and dirty teacups were abandoned alongside jars of marmite and jam on the shelf.
In the eighty years before its closure little changed with the working practices or equipment used within the family-owned business. Even the décor had more in common with early 20th century trends than a thriving business in the early 1980s. Today the factory is a remarkable museum, which tells the story of the Jewellery Quarter and Birmingham’s renowned jewellery and metalworking heritage.
What will I see at the Museum of the Jewellery Quarter?
- Visit to the Smith & Pepper factory by guided tour. Allow one hour for guided tour. Last tour approximately one hour before closing. The maximum number of people on each tour is 18.
- The museum shop, which stocks a range of locally made designer-maker jewellery.
- Live demonstrations at the jeweller’s bench showing how the Smith & Pepper bangle was made.
- The vast array of original tools, stamps and machinery that remains inside the factory.
The museum is open all year round, but entrance to the factory is by guided tour only. School parties and pre-booked groups are welcome. Please contact the Museum of the Jewellery Quarter for further details.
What's On at the Museum of the Jewellery Quarter in July
- An Adaptable Trade: The Jewellery Quarter at War.
14th June 2014 - 27th June 2015
First World War Centenary Exhibition.
- Silver Pendant Jewellery Workshop. 19th July, 10am-4pm.
Join designer maker Grace Page for this adult workshop and make your own silver pendant. Booking essential (call 0121 348 8140). £50 per person, includes materials and refreshments.
- Jazz in the Courtyard. 26th July, 12pm.
Free jazz performances as part of Birmingham Jazz and Blues Festival.
- Crafty Thursday Afternoon. 31st July, 1-3pm.
Make and take craft activity inspired by our new Frist World War Centenary exhibition. Drop in activity. £1.00 per child.
What's On at All Birmingham Museums' Heritage Sites
For more information on events and activities check the What’s On page for listings.