Tel: +44 (0)121 554 3598
Entry: Charges apply to the tour of the Smith and Pepper factory and the galleries. The shop, cafe and temporary exhibition space are free to enter.
Children under 16 FREE
Annual multi site pass: £20 individual, £30 joint
Tuesday to Saturday 10.30am - 5.00pm. Closed Sundays and Mondays. Except Bank Holiday Mondays.
When the proprietors of the Smith & Pepper jewellery manufacturing firm decided to retire in 1981 they ceased trading and locked the door, unaware they would be leaving a time capsule for future generations. Tools were left strewn on benches; grubby overalls were hung on the coat hooks; and dirty teacups were abandoned alongside jars of marmite and jam on the shelf.
In the eighty years before its closure little changed with the working practices or equipment used within the family-owned business. Even the décor had more in common with early 20th century trends than a thriving business in the early 1980s. Today the factory is a remarkable museum, which tells the story of the Jewellery Quarter and Birmingham’s renowned jewellery and metalworking heritage.
What will I see at the Museum of the Jewellery Quarter?
- Visit to the Smith & Pepper factory by guided tour. Allow one hour for guided tour. Last tour approximately one hour before closing. The maximum number of people on each tour is 18.
- The museum shop, which stocks a range of locally made designer-maker jewellery.
- Live demonstrations at the jeweller’s bench showing how the Smith & Pepper bangle was made.
- The vast array of original tools, stamps and machinery that remains inside the factory.
The museum is open all year round, but entrance to the factory is by guided tour only. School parties and pre-booked groups are welcome. Please contact the Museum of the Jewellery Quarter for further details.
What's On at the Museum of the Jewellery Quarter in April
- Chroma Jewellery Collective. 18th January - 7th June.
An exhibition of vibrant contemporary jewellery designed and made in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter. Free (admission charge to the museum applies).
- Easter Egg Hunt. 12th - 26th April*, 10.30am to 5pm.
Complete the hunt and win a chocolate prize. Free (admission charge to the museum applies). *Except Sunday 13th, Monday 14th and Sunday 20th April.
- Easter Animals. 17th April, 1pm to 3pm.
Family friendly craft activity. Make your very own Easter animal to take home. £1 per person.
- Easter Felt Brooches. 24th April, 1pm to 3pm.
Family craft workshop. Join artist Lisa Broughton and design and make your own felt brooch or badge with an Easter theme. £3 per person - booking essential (call 0121 554 3598).
What's On at All Birmingham Museums' Heritage Sites
For more information on events and activities check the What’s On page for listings.