Tel: +44 (0)121 348 8140
Entry: Charges apply to the tour of the Smith and Pepper factory and the galleries. The shop, cafe and temporary exhibition space are free to enter.
Children under 16 FREE
Annual multi site pass: £20 individual, £30 joint
Tuesday to Saturday 10.30am - 5.00pm. Closed Sundays and Mondays. Except Bank Holiday Mondays.
When the proprietors of the Smith & Pepper jewellery manufacturing firm decided to retire in 1981 they ceased trading and locked the door, unaware they would be leaving a time capsule for future generations. Tools were left strewn on benches; grubby overalls were hung on the coat hooks; and dirty teacups were abandoned alongside jars of marmite and jam on the shelf.
In the eighty years before its closure little changed with the working practices or equipment used within the family-owned business. Even the décor had more in common with early 20th century trends than a thriving business in the early 1980s. Today the factory is a remarkable museum, which tells the story of the Jewellery Quarter and Birmingham’s renowned jewellery and metalworking heritage.
What will I see at the Museum of the Jewellery Quarter?
- Visit to the Smith & Pepper factory by guided tour. Allow one hour for guided tour. Last tour approximately one hour before closing. The maximum number of people on each tour is 18.
- The museum shop, which stocks a range of locally made designer-maker jewellery.
- Live demonstrations at the jeweller’s bench showing how the Smith & Pepper bangle was made.
- The vast array of original tools, stamps and machinery that remains inside the factory.
The museum is open all year round, but entrance to the factory is by guided tour only. School parties and pre-booked groups are welcome. Please contact the Museum of the Jewellery Quarter for further details.
What's On at the Museum of the Jewellery Quarter from October to November
- An Adaptable Trade: The Jewellery Quarter at War.
14th June 2014 - 27th June 2015
First World War Centenary Exhibition.
- Ghost Walk. 29th October, 2pm
Join historian Dr Chris Upton for a Halloween ghost walk around the historic Jewellery Quarter. Booking essential, call 0121 348 8140. £5 per person.
- Medal Making Craft Workshop. 29th October, 1-3pm
Join artist Adrienne Craddock for this family fun craft workshop to design and create your own medal. Booking essential, call 0121 348 8140. £3 per child.
- Make and Take Activity. 30th October, 1-3pm
A drop in make and take family crafty afternoon. £1 per child.
- Ghost Walk. 31st October, 2pm Join historian Dr Chris Upton for a Halloween ghost walk around the Jewellery Quarter. Booking essential, call 0121 348 8140. £5 per person.
- Halloween Craft Workshop. 31st October, 1-3pm
Join artist Gilly Page for this family fun craft workshop to design and create your own spooky craft. Booking essential, call 0121 348 8140. £3 per child.
- Silver Ring Jewellery Workshop. 15th November, 10am-4pm
Join designer maker Grace Page in this adult workshop to design and make your own silver ring. Materials and refreshments included. Booking essential (call 0121 554 3598). £50 per person.
What's On at All Birmingham Museums' Heritage Sites
For more information on events and activities check the What’s On page for listings.